Wednesday, May 31, 2006
favorite albums: may
As you may or may not recall, last month I posted about my favorite albums so far of 2006. Some of you may have chuckled at my overenthusiasm to put a bow on the year and be done with it already, but I view it more as making up for 4 months of lost music-talking, list-making time. I'm thinking about making this a monthly thing; let's see how long I stick with it until either a) the funds run out, or b) I lose interest like a raccoon who's got her eye on some other shiny thing. So, whatever, here's my May faves:

#1: "You in Reverse" - Built to Spill
Favorite Track: "Liar" (although it changes with each listen)
Admittedly, I'm not one for long jams, so each time I started listening to this album I tended to get hung up in the 10 minute-long first track, but I was sold from track #2 on. The whole album (even the jammy parts) is excellent and highly recommended, especially for when you're punishing your pecs on the weight machines at the gym.

#2: "Gulag Orkestar" - Beirut
Favorite Track: Umm, not that kind of album.
I have an extraordinarily difficult time explaining why I like this album so much, and each time it comes out completely convoluted and I end up sounding absurd. It sounds like something my imaginary Russian grandfather would listen to while eating some borsch after a long day working in the Gulags - appetizing, eh? (There's that convoluted absurdity again.) It makes no sense that I like this album so much, but it's on endless repeat in my car. Truly, listening to one song in isolation won't give you the same feel, so if you decide to take a chance on it be warned that this really is an album that must be listened to in its entirety to be fully appreciated.

#3: "The Hardest Way to Make an Easy Living" - The Streets
Favorite Track: "The Hardest Way to Make an Easy Living"
Although I wouldn't say that every song on this album is a strong one - far from it really - the ones that are strong are completely addictive. This album hasn't taught me anything I didn't already know about The Streets - half of the songs sound discordant and a bit grating to me and the other half are crazy catchy - but it's still been playing an awful lot on my fancy new i-pod, so there must be something to it.

There there it is, May in a nutshell. Suggestions for June listens?


3 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. White said...

I stand corrected, Steve, I must admit that I was previously unaware of Skinner's affection for the yay.

It does beg the question, however - is he talking about himself? I assumed he wasn't - that he was instead satirizing pop stars like Pete Doherty. Perhaps I assumed wrong; you seem to know much more than I do about The Streets, given your intense man crush and all.

Blogger JMW said...

Have you listened to The Weepies? It's possible I heard about them from your blog, so apologies if I did. If not, you should listen to their latest, Say I Am You. Lots of pretty songs on that one. No smoking crack with pop stars, but lots of pretty songs.

Blogger Mrs. White said...

The Weepies? I've never heard of them, so thanks for the referral, JMW; I'll have to check them out. I do like me my pretty songs!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer