Sunday, April 30, 2006
my favorite albums of 2006 (so far)
Perhaps it's a bit early for this post, seeing as 2006 is only 4 months old as of today, but I've always been one to do things a bit prematurely (usually it's overreacting, though). I do realize that there are two very hyped albums coming out within a matter of days - Pearl Jam (I still can't believe I'm giving them yet another chance) and Red Hot Chili Peppers - but the truth is that I'm deliberately posting before these two albums come out because it took me so long to figure out my current list that I don't really want to go back to the drawing board so soon.

I wasn't aiming for a certain number of albums to include on this list (I think I considered about 25 overall), but once I sat down to figure things out it turned out that I had eight that "made the cut" so to speak, which makes me happy because eight is a nice, even, god-fearing number. Finally, I include Pitchfork's rating just in case people are interested in an alternate point of view. In other words, not because it had any weight in my decision-making process or because I was trying to be pretentious or because I was trying to justify anything. (Well, maybe the Morrissey album.)

So (finally) here is it, my favorite albums of 2006 so far:

#1: The Life Pursuit (Belle and Sebastian)
There was a fierce battle in my head for the #1 spot but I had to give it to The Life Pursuit, which is damn close to perfection. This album is full of sunshine and happiness and puppy dogs and care bears. There just aren't enough words to describe how much I love it.
Favorite Track: "Another Sunny Day"
Pitchfork Says: 8.5 (out of 10)

#2: The Loon (Tapes 'N Tapes)
I'm pretty sure that this was released at the at the tale end of 2005, but I'm breaking the rules for this one due to it's perfect awesomeness.
Favorite Track: "Cowbell"
Pitchfork Says: 8.3

#3: Ringleader of the Tormentors (Morrissey)
I know, I know. I can't help it. Morrissey will always have a special place in my heart that most people won't ever understand, and I'm fully aware that he's like anchovies - some people like him but most don't - but this really is a very, very good album. Seriously.
Favorite Track : "You Have Killed Me" (I know - but it's actually quite catchy.)
Pitchfork Says: 8.0

#4: Fishscale (Ghostface Killah)
So, it's not really my genre, but every once in awhile (Deltron 3030, The Mouse and the Mask) I have to give rap a nod. Fishscale is a very impressive album - complex, catchy and consistent. Do I feel like a total poser for liking this album? A bit. Do I care? No, not so much.
Favorite Track: "Kilo"
Pitchfork Says: 9.0

#5: Fox Confessor Brings the Flood (Neko Case)
The more I listened to this album, the more it grew on me. I don't really like the first track very much, but everything after that is lovely, lovely, lovely.
Favorite Track: "Hold On, Hold On"
Pitchfork Says: 7.7

#6: Whatever People Say I am, That's What I'm Not (Arctic Monkeys)
Highly hyped. Worth the hype.
Favorite Track: "Still Take You Home"
Pitchfork Says: 7.4

#7: Show Your Bones (Yeah Yeah Yeahs)
There are several songs on Show Your Bones that are nearly perfect, but things weaken a bit towards the end. Still, I highly recommend it.
Favorite Track: "Gold Lion "
Pitchfork Says: 7.4

#8: With Love and Squalor (We Are Scientists)
There are moments when this album is incredible and moments when it tries a bit too hard (I'm talking to you track #1), but it's a pretty great album nonetheless.
Favorite Track: "Inaction"
Pitchfork Says: 6.7

P.S. Voxtrot's "Mothers, Sisters, Daughters and Wives" EP is truly excellent, but five songs an album does not make, so I decided I couldn't, in good conscience, include it on the list. Release a full album already so I can expedite you to #1. Sheesh.

P.P.S I do believe this blog comes with a comment button, so feel free to agree, criticize, tell me what I missed, rejoice in my perfect awesomeness, etc.


5 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Ok, so surprise, we have almost identical lists. The LIfe Pursuit is so ridiculously good, something truly amazing has to come out before the end of the year to bump it from #1 on my list (Arcade Fire, I'm looking at you). Neko's #2 for me, cause I can listen to that album over and over and over again and never get tired of it. It's so pretty- it's permanently fused to my cd player in my car. Tapes 'n Tapes and Ghostface are also awesome and definitely flesh out the rest of my list.

Honestly, I've kind of had a musical overload lately and haven't given anything else besides those four a fair chance. I'm figuring that when the end of the year comes, Band of Horses, The Gossip, Pretty Girls Make Graves, Gnarls Barkley and Calexico will all be candidates.

So, basically, the only thing I can't see on your list is We are Scientists. I just haven't been able to get into it, and I've tried. But oh well!

And you have Morrissey? Oooooh... I propose a trade.

Blogger Mrs. White said...

Yeah, Elan Vital almost beat out the We Are Scientists album, but I just haven't listened to it enough yet. Ialso fully admit that I haven't given the new Built to Spill or the new Calexico much of a chance yet.

And just in case I haven't already made it clear enough, love the Morrissey album. A lot. A trade can most certainly be arranged.

Blogger Nathan said...

Completely unrelated comment: I just stumbled onto the following headline posted on MTV.com from a while back, "My Chemical Romance Aim For Smashing Pumpkins Status."

Please tell me I'm not the only person that is offended by that statement.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I came upon your site from Special Way of Being Afraid. Have you heard the Babyshambles CD? Wondering what your thoughts might be.

Blogger Mrs. White said...

Babyshambles? Yeah - Pete Doherty's solo album. Actually, I just picked it up a couple of days ago, so I've only listened to it a few times so my opinion is still forming. I really like it at some moments, and other moments it's a bit of a sloppy mess (although I guess that's sort of the point). Some times I really like the messy bits (like "Sticks and Stones") but there are other times when I wish his producer would have helped him tighten things up a bit. It's pretty catchy overall, though.

I enjoy your blog, by the way. Your post about your favorite sequels was great, although Gremlins 2 would get a higher ranking on my list. I love that movie.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer