Sunday, December 17, 2006
my favorite songs: 2006
Before we begin, please note that aside from the first
one, these are in no particular order. It was hard enough whittling the list down from 25 to 16 when I had originally envisioned a list of 10, which proved to be impossible. Additionally, I am in no way asserting that these are the BEST songs of 2006, rather, they are MY personal favorites. (My taste is pretty impeccable, though...) So, without further ado, here it is - my favorite songs of 2006. Enjoy.

"Postcards from Italy"- Beirut
This is easily my favorite song of the year. I get inexpressibly happy every single time I hear it, and whether I'm in the kitchen, the shower, or the car I am compelled to dance.

"When the Sun Goes Down" - The Arctic Monkeys
In an album full of tracks that are very good but not earth-shatteringly original, this one stands out as being one of the more interesting moments. Only time will tell if the flame of The Arctic Monkeys' fame has already peaked and died, but if it has, I'll at least have this song to remember them when they were at their best.

"The Funeral" - Band of Horses
I love the hills and valleys of this song. The quiet moments are all the more eerily lovely since they fall between some pretty rockin' power cords.

"Yankee Bayonet (I Will be Home Then)" - The Decemberists
It was very hard for me to choose one moment from this album as my favorite, but if I must choose it would be this one. With lines like, "But oh my love, though our bodies may be parted though our skin may not touch skin, look for me with the sun-bright sparrow I will come on the breath of the wind," Colin Meloy may be at his most poetic in this song, and I do love it when he tells me stories.

"Kilo" - Ghostface Killah
My husband finds it hilarious when I sing along to this song. Frankly, I don't see what's so damn funny. I'm a gangsta, yo.

"Your Mangled Heart" - The Gossip
I discovered this song recently when my i-pod was on shuffle mode, and I maintain that my 5th hour freshmen, along with my attempts to sing along with Beth Ditto on this song, are the top two reasons why my voice has been weak and hoarse for almost two months now.

"I'll Write the Song, You Sing for Me" - Irving
Sometimes I'm a fifteen year old girl who likes her music moody, angst-ridden and with synthesizers. This song did the best job of fulfilling those needs for me this year.

"Wherever You Go" - Built to Spill

I like that this song is a bit darker than the rest of the album, and even though I don't usually like guitar jams, those are some of my favorite moments in this song. I guess that means I'm growing.

"Don't Call me Whitney, Bobby" - Islands
Although I didn't really care for this album, I've been obsessed with this track for the better part of the year. I like the absurdity of the lyrics ("Sugar muffin, dumping baby, this world is going crazy") and the playfulness of the melody. I find the title clever too.

"Another Sunny Day" - Belle and Sebastian
I love the direction that this band has taken with The Life Pursuit, and this song encapsulates that for me. It's pop-y, happy, never fails to make me smile, and was probably my favorite song of the summer.

"Cowbell" - Tapes 'n Tapes

Part of me wanted to list any other song from this album other than "Cowbell" because it was such an obvious, almost cliche, choice, but I must be honest with myself - this song is my favorite moment on one of my favorite albums of the year.

"Wolf Like Me" - TV on the Radio
This song is the best moment on an album that's full of incredible moments.

"Bad Education" -Tilly and the Wall
Violins, trumpets, percussive tap dancing and furious, childish vocals are sort of the way to my heart. If I were in a band, this is the band I'd want to be in. (I'd be on lead vocals, of course.)

"Sway" - Voxtrot
I'm showing incredible restraint by only including one Voxtrot song on this list. Although "The Start of Something" was the song made me fall in love with this band it's songs like "Sway" that will make me stick around. It's achingly beautiful, and a surprising departure from the infectious pop tracks that dominated their last two EPs.

"Hold On, Hold On" - Neko Case
This whole album is fantastic, but this song is my favorite because it's one of the darker "rock" moments on a very, very pretty album.("I leave the party at three am alone, thank God. With a valium from the bride, it's the devil I love. And it's as funny as true love.")

"Gotta Have You" - The Weepies
This song is simple, understated and beautiful. It's adorable, and I absolutely mean that as a compliment.

And that's it! Any questions?


2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Nice list dearie! That part of Yankee Bayonet is also one of my favorite momens on Crane Wife. I sing it loudly in my car.

Tilly and the Wall does seem like a band we're meant to be in, doesn't it? You sing, I tap dance. Sigh. We missed our chance. ;)

And I know you're given them to me, but I need to get into The Weepies and Irving. I will listen to those songs first!

(And congrats on your impending FF win. Would you have thought us girls would make it this far? The boys, they are crabby, me thinks. At least P is.)

Blogger Mrs. White said...

I'm a complicated woman, Steve - a lot of ins, a lot of outs. Actually,Nathan bought the new Beck album and it's been in my car for months now going unlistened. For some reason I just can't get motivated to put it in.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer