Wednesday, September 06, 2006
mo' freshmen, mo' problems
I have three times as many freshmen this year than I had last year, which means three times the drama, three times the anxiety, three times the overall goofiness, and three times as many unprompted outbursts like the following which have all been uttered in my classroom in the past two days:

"Oh my God! My dog was totally killed by a tornado!"

"Yeah, well my pitpull ate my cat once."

"This asks for 'pupil's name.' What's a pupil?"

"What's a 'syllabus'?
After hearing the answer, this is followed by...."That's dumb. Why don't they just call it 'piece of paper with rules and stuff on it'?"

"So, are you a cool? 'Cause I was hoping you'd be cool."

"Umm...I know that class isn't over yet, but I think my mom's here. So, can I leave now?"

"Yeah, I can't hear you if you don't raise your hand before you speak."

"I love the name Sven! When I have a son I'm totally going to name him Sven!"


(I bet you can't guess which one of these statements came out of my mouth.)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer