Monday, September 04, 2006
good-bye summer
Well, it's been great but I must face the facts - summer's over.

Good-bye waking up whenever. Hello rising at 5am.
Good-bye lazy, guilt-free Saturdays. Hello weekend grading.
Good-bye relatively nice smelling house. Hello classroom full of stinky freshman boys fresh out of gym class.

Oh well. It was nice while it lasted.

I'm usually a bit anxious before the first day of school, but oddly enough this is the first year when I feel completely unfazed by the whole thing. Sure I ironed a pair of pants, but that's about the most preparation I've done for tomorrow's big day. In all honesty, I just can't bring myself to feel much of anything about this new school year. Not excited, not hopeful, not even nervous. Perhaps it's because I just got home from a weekend trip to Brooklyn to visit my little brother, so I'm still in full-on vacation mode. Perhaps it's because this is my sixth year of teaching and the novelty of it all has worn off a bit. Perhaps it's because our first in-service day was such a downer. Whatever. It's here. Let's get to the enlightenment of young minds and the expanding of horizons already.


And for no reason other than the fact that I like it, here's Fiona Apple's video for "Not About Love." Apparently she has a sense of humor. Who knew?



3 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Sorry your summer's over, babe. Work sucks, as does waking up at 5 am, I imagine!

You have a fun weekend ahead of you, at least. Be easy on them the first week; you won't have much time for grading this weekend. ;-) Black Swamp will be awesome!

Blogger Carrie said...
Blogger Mrs. White said...

Oohh..interesting. I wonder why they're only releasing EPs? Perhaps there's a slight case of ADD there.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer