Thursday, August 24, 2006
stereotypically yours
Boy oh boy I'm a tired pup. This is my last full week of summery freedom and like a silly monkey I chose to spend it by installing a laminate floor in my bedroom and holding a garage sale (because I guess I'm 45-year-old or something) and I'm all tuckered out. But despite my lethargy, I'm never too tired to talk about one of my favorite things: Survivor.

As a loyal Survivor fan from day one I'm super psyched about the return of my favorite reality show. My feelings wavered a bit, however, when I found out that the plan for the newest season, Survivor: Cook Island, is to separate castaways by race. Not that segregation is anything new for the show; they've organized teams by gender and age already, but organizing teams based on race seems a bit...touchy. I'm pretty sure that grouping people by race in this day and age is probably a very tacky and inappropriate approach for a show to take, but it's that very potential for being a train wreck that makes me more excited to watch than ever.

My husband and I were discussing the impact that dividing along racial lines may have on the show, and in the spirit of tackiness and inappropriateness here are some of our (and my our, I mean mostly his) stereotypical speculations:

1. The Asians are going to kill at the puzzle challenges.

2. The whites are going to have the most awesomely awkward victory dance.

3. The black team will rule at the land-based race challenges and fail miserably at the water-based race challenges.

4. The nickname given to the white team by the other teams will be "the man."

and last but not least,

5. At the first challenge, the someone from the Latino team will pull out a hand-made shiv and ask Probts, "You challenging me, esay?"

(We came up with much more, but I fear you may already hate me so it's probably best to stop here. Please don't send me hate comments!)



2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Oh, you funny little racists kids... I actually think that this has the potential to be really interesting. I think it's kind of daring, because we all tiptoe around issues of race, no? Or maybe it'll be lame and sesationalized and undignified. We'll see, I guess!

(And if you're a 45 year old woman, then so are the rest of us. We're having the first official S. Grove garage sale this weekend, and all the crazy kids down here are bringing their crap over to sell. Here's to making money off of all your old VHS tapes and worn in sneakers!!)

Blogger Mrs. White said...

I just read a newspaper article about the show today and it appears that former cast members are split. White people tend think it's really interesting and they will watch this season even if they haven't watched the last several seasons, while some black cast members think it's appalling. Either way, everyone's bound to feel like they have to "represent" for their race, and you know no one will be cheering for ole whitey.

And the yard sale is turning out to be a success. I've already made about $80 and it's only three hours in. Turns out my old costume jewelry is in high demand!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer