Wednesday, April 12, 2006
who said grading 57 research papers couldn't be fun?
Well, maybe "fun" is stretching it a bit, but it did have its moments, especially when they tried to impress me with "big words." Here are some of my favorite vocabulary mishaps, and, of course, I tease because I love. Enjoy.

"The beliefs of the Shakers were bizarre by conditional standards because they called for total non-procrastination, or celibacy."
Obviously, procreation was the word he was searching for, but I kind of liked non-procrastination, which I'd have to assume must be the opposite of procrastination. So I guess that means that the Shakers weren't putting off their celibacy until later???

"American was sweltering with national pride after the War of 1812."
Absolutely sweltering with pride, folks. 1812 must have been a scorcher of a year.

"This new way of determining one's destitute seemed more appealing and caused many Colonists to rethink Predestination."
I, myself, have been trying to determine my own destitute, but I certainly can't blame God. I blame tax payers.

"Immense slave labor forces toiled for long periods of time to produce a large amount of cash crops, however the tyranny of the slaves remained unbroken."
Damn those tyrannical slaves.

"After WWI ended, the American economy was booming; few citizens were unemployed and, overall, everything was writhing."
Writhing with greatness, I say!


4 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Too great! I love spell-check errors/missed typos so much. Paul's had a few good ones saved on some scrap paper around our computer - you should get him to post them!

Blogger Mrs. White said...

Post it, Paul, post it! I can't be the only teacher who enjoys using the Internet as a tool to ridicule her students!

Blogger paul said...

Here's a good recent one:

If we were able to clone life stalk, then their would be mormon eat for us to share as a society.

I wish that I was joking. And this student "graduated" from high school...

Blogger Kathleen said...

I love the writhing! Although it's definitely comical, I am somewhat jealous that your students even think of using the thesaurus (albeit erroneously). Mine take a lot more prodding. ;)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer