Monday, April 10, 2006
i love the sopranos
I know that it's so after the fact, but I wanted to take a moment to say how much I loved last night's episode of The Sopranos. Testosterone is certainly nothing new for this show, but I really liked the direction they took last night by exploring how difficult it must be for men, especially these men, to maintain an aura of masculinity. First, making Vito Spatafore gay was a stroke of genius (apparently, it was partly Joe Gannascoli's idea as a way to "break out of the pack"), but I just hope it doesn't mean that suicide will be his fate, especially when I was just starting to care about him. That's probably where they're going though, don't you think? At least he has his fancy new Celebrity Fit Club bod, which should open up all sorts of doors for him after his inevitable Sopranos death.

And I must admit, I got a bit choked up when John Sacrimoni was handcuffed in front of the entire wedding party. Do I feel bad that he's in jail? No. But who wants to see the father of the bride whisked away in handcuffs at the end of the wedding? And really? People are going to throw stones because he showed one moment of weakness at his daughter's wedding?

And then there's Tony. His alpha male status has been an issue ever since episode one when he has his first panic attack and started seeing Melfi, but the final scene - smiling a bloody vomit smile after beating up the buffest guy in the room just to remind everyone that he's still the silverback gorilla of the pack - was, for lack of a better word, intense.

Besides being this single most entertaining hour of my week, this episode made me happy to be a woman. Act feminine - it's expected, act masculine - it's accepted. Honestly, I don't think I'd trade genders for anything - especially if it meant being a chauvinistic, homophobic wise-guy from New Jersey.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer