Friday, January 20, 2006
Mags gave me permission to post.
Mags granted me publishing powers to her blog a while ago but I've been hesitant to blab at y'all 'cause I'd hate to taint her site or diminish her "voice". I'll pop in every once in a while but don't expect any haikus... that's Mag's bag... I'm more of a limerick kinda guy.


I love adventuring vicariously through the urban spelunkers who explore the abandoned landmarks of Detroit. Of note this week the Donovan and Sanders Buildings otherwise known as the Motown Complex. It's amazing the stuff that was left in these historic buildings. It's also amazing how hastily they demolish the buildings when there are only two weeks left before the World arrives for a football game. I personally like the photos of the damage the demolition does to the new street light that was erected just two days prior, it reinforces the demo company's slogan that "demolition means progress".

I now return this blog to its rightful owner.


3 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Yeah! Nathan posted! I was just reading about this demolition yesterday; I can't believe they're still trying tear down buildings - you think they would've have done this all a while ago. Is getting rid of one or two more abandoned buildings really going to improve the image of downtown that much?

I'm intrigued what effects the Superbowl is going to have on downtown, and what post-Superbowl Detroit is going to be like. Will all these urban renewals efforts just be quickly abandoned? We'll see...

Anonymous Anonymous said...

saw kurt vonnegut again today . . . this time in a window eating lunch. think im destined to meet the guy ... or maybe just stalk him till i do.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathan - Today (1/24) NPR interviewed DetroitFunk blogger Randy Wilcox about the destruction of the Motown Building for Super Bowl parking. I paid special attention because of your posting. You can listen to it at http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5170641

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer