Thursday, January 19, 2006
It's a small (and incredibly scary) world
I admit that I've been following the story of Jill Carroll, the Ann Arbor journalist who is being held hostage in Iraq with only one ear, but I heard some very disturbing news today that got my full attention. I didn't realize it before, but Carroll is the daughter of one of my former high school teachers, Mary Beth Carroll. Mrs. Carroll taught Humanities at Plymouth Salem High School, and although I only sat in on a few of her lectures, she is an brilliant woman who was incredibly well respected and loved among her students. I feel absolutely terrible for her, and I can't begin to imagine what it must be like to be her tonight, hoping and praying that your daughter will still be alive by this time tomorrow. I'm embarrassed to admit that knowing Carroll's mother makes the story more meaningful and terrifying to me, but I suppose that's human nature. Regardless, I'll certainly be keeping the Carroll family in my thoughts, and I only hope that this issue can be resolved peacefully.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer