Saturday, January 07, 2006
of wal-mart and twins
Well, I went back to work for three days this week, and although I had a student teacher there to greet me, it was pretty depressing to go back after two weeks off. I can find solace in the fact that in a couple of weeks someone will be doing most of my job for me for free. (Yeah, I know I'm a big cry-baby, but still - jealous much?)

So, I don't know if you heard it on the news yesterday, but apparently we all have one more reason to hate Wal-Mart. They're claiming employee error, but some genius tech person programmed their website so that when you searched for the movies Planet of the Apes and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory the "we also recommend" led you to African America videos such as a bio of Jack Johnson and a video on Martin Luther King, Jr. They've since removed the link, but they've apparently known about this since October, so I guess it wasn't too concerning to them until it made the national news. I understand why they would claim employee incompetence to cover their collective asses, but if it is an accident (which I'm not sure I believe it is) it's a pretty damning one, especially since there are so many people like me who love to hate Wal-Mart.

On a happier note, my cousin Liz and her husband Rob have been trying to get pregnant for something like five years with no luck. It's been an emotional roller coaster, exacerbated by the fact that she's been on all sorts of fertility drugs that have messed with her emotional balance. She had tried pretty much everything that the medical world had to offer, and decided to just hand it over to fate or God or whatever. My mom heard about this website run by cloistered nuns called the Sisters of St. Clare (who knew cloistered nuns had the Internet??) who would pray for you if you sent in a request. Mom mom and several aunts sent in a request and - poof! - Liz is now pregnant. With twins. I don't know if it was the prayers of the nuns, the drugs, or just a change in luck, but we sure are happy for her and Rob.

It got me thinking about how I would feel if my first pregnancy was with twins. I'm pretty sure I'd flip out - double the money, stress, sleepless nights, etc. Apparently all Nathan could think about was laundry, prompting him to ask, "If you have twins, do you have to buy twice as many clothes or do you just do laundry twice as often?"

Hands off, girls. He's mine.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's funny you meantion the wal-mart thing. three days ago a co-worker of mine stumbled upon it and told us all about it. shortly after that some emails were writen to CNN, New York 1, and a bunch of other places. the next day the links were changed and now you tell me it's on the national news. hmmmmmm

Blogger Mrs. White said...

wow - your friend is a news maker! what power!

Blogger Carrie said...

Mags, I hear you on the twins thing. I fear that may be in my future, and if that happens, there will be much freaking out. And then I remember that my parents went to the hospital thinking they were having a very large boy, and instead came home with 2 girls. Craziness! (And to answer Nathan's question, at first my mom only had like 4 outfits for my sisters or something, so she was pretty much constantly doing laundry).

But congrats to your cousin- they have to be excited!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer