Thursday, July 13, 2006
words i hate
My husband thinks it's odd that I have a laundry list of words that I hate. And when I say hate, I mean they make my blood boil, my teeth grate and my hands turn into tiny fists of rage. It's not really the meaning that gets to me as much as the sound of these words that I find so irksome. I am particularly bothered by the letter "p" for some reason. Hmm.

Anywho, i hate, hate, hate these words:
  • panties
  • tweak
  • mature (when pronounced 'ma-tour')
  • moist
  • chuck
  • piss (although, for some odd reason, when used as British slang for drunk, such as "let's get pissed," it's fine)
  • puke
  • barf
  • poultry
  • pussy (just typing that one made me throw up in my mouth a bit)
  • crunch (although 'crunchy' is fine)
  • goo
  • scrumptious
There's hope I suppose, because "boobs" and "poop" used to be on the list, but I've since embraced them and now sorta like them.

I know you've got your own. Let's have 'em already. (Just don't speak them out loud if you know what's good for you.)


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

caulk
squirt
perfunctory
flipper

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm passing along comments from our friend Rose that I found interesting:
It means she's an English major. I think English majors (myself included) are preoccupied with words not only as a communication, but as individual parts of the language, the sound of them individually, the way they work in your head and in your mouth and in your heart and on your ears. I, myself, have a list of words I really love, aquifer, being one of my favorite. No real sense in that--but there it is.

Blogger Mrs. White said...

Yes, I think most English people have similar lists. I do have a list of words that I love too, although they don't elicit the same response in me that my most hated words do. Some words that I love include:

serendipity,
fortuitous,
myriad,
allude, and
subsequently

(I guess there's a two syllable minimum to make the 'words I like' list.)d

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer