Friday, June 30, 2006
favorite albums: june edition
So, I'm breaking some rules this month because none of my favorite albums were released in the month of June. In fact, one wasn't even released this year. However, it's my blog and I make the rules darn it, so stop whining and eat your vegetables already.

Right then, so here's what I listened to ad nauseum this June:

1. Apologies to the Queen Mary - Wolf Parade
Admittedly, I'm coming to this band a bit late seeing as Apologies to the Queen Mary was released last fall, but this is the closest thing to a perfect rock album that I've heard in quite some time and it deserves my belated praise. It's just one flawless song after another on this album and it has pretty much held dominion over my iPod for the past month or so. If you don't have this one already, you best be getting your hands on it already. (And if you're really nice, I might burn you a copy. Unless you're a cop. Or a record executive. Or Tipper Gore. )
Favorite Track: "Fancy Claps"

2. Say I am You- The Weepies
Thanks goes out to JMW of A Special Way of Being Afraid for turning me on to this band. I hesitate to call it sweet, but there is it. It's a very sweet album. Pretty, pretty, pretty and well worth spending some of your e-music downloads on this one.
Favorite Track: "The World Spins Madly On"

3. Drowaton - Starlight Mints
I can't say I love Drowaton exactly, and there are certainly some moments that are a bit discordant and odd, but even though it gets a bit theatrical in a Halloween-ish sort of way it's strong moments outweigh its tendency to overexperimental and I like it all the same.
Favorite Track: "Inside of Me"

So, there it is. Oh, and if you live in NYC and aren't currently planning on going to Brooklyn's Prospect Park tonight to see Voxtrot perform then you need to start changing your plans, post haste.

That is all.


1 Comments:

Blogger JMW said...

Glad you're liking the Weepies. I'll look into Wolf Parade. They're one of those bands that I've been assuming I'm not hip enough to like anymore, but your recommendation makes it sound great.

I have a friend who went to see that Voxtrot show and liked it. I was away, or would have gone myself.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer