Monday, May 08, 2006
sub plans
Once again, McSweeney's has helped me with my lesson plans. I'll be leaving half my kids this week to take the other half (the good half) to Boston and I'm thinking about leaving some of these writing prompts for the sub. Here's some of my favorites:

Write a story that ends with the following sentence: Debra brushed the sand from her blouse, took a last, wistful look at the now putrefying horse, and stepped into the hot-air baloon.

A wasp called the tarantula hawk reproduces by paralyzing tarantulas and laying eggs into their bodies. When the larvae hatch, they devour the still living spider from the inside out. Isn't that fucked up? Write a story about how fucked up that is.

Choose your favorite historical figure and imagine if he/she had been led to greatness by the promptings of an invisible imp living behind his or her right ear. Write a story from the point of view of this creature. Where did it come from? What are its goals? Use research to make your story as accurate as possible.

Write a short scene set at a lake, with trees and shit. Throw some birds in there too.

So what do you think? Administration won't mind, right?


1 Comments:

Blogger paul said...

Those were great. In fact, I think I emailed them to Kevin. I'm actually thinking of trying:

Write a story that begins with a man throwing handfuls of $100 bills from a speeding car, and ends with a young girl urinating into a tin bucket.

and

Your main character finds a box of scorched human hair. Whose is it? How did it get there?

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer