Wednesday, March 15, 2006
my lenten progress report
Well, it's been over two weeks now (16 days to be precise, not that anyone's counting) and I'm still observing my Lenten fast. It hasn't been easy, but I'm proud to say that I've hardly cheated at all. I did watch the Oscars, but that shouldn't even count because it's a once-a-year event and I didn't even enjoy it all that much. So, to the doubters and naysayers I can proudly say the current score stands at Me: 1, Lent: 0 (I'm totally kickin' Lent's ass!) So how have I been filling all the tv-less hours, you ask? Here's how:

  1. Listening to music. In heavy rotation: Metric: Live it Out, Voxtrot : Raised by Wolves EP, (Download this. Do it now!), and Belle and Sebastian: The Life Pursuit.
  2. Reading: Running with Scissors (a train wreck I couldn't pull my eyes away from), In Cold Blood (creeeeeeepy), and The Human Stain (one of the best books I've read in, well, perhaps ever).
  3. Making much needed repairs around my house. (Speaking of which, how disgusting is it that it costs as much to install a door as it does to buy the door itself! Grrr..)
  4. Dreaming up completely unnecessary ways to spend my tax return money.
  5. And having intellectually stimulating conversations about literature with my husband like this one:

Nathan: What series was it you said you read as a kid, Sweet Valley High?

Me: Sweet Valley High!? Hell no! Only ho's read that, and I wasn't no ho. I read The Babysitter's Club. Get it straight, man.

Nathan: So sorry. I had no idea.

Me: Well now you do so don't forget. I can't have you blemishing my name. Mama didn't raise no ho, Nathan.

Nathan: Right.

And to think, I only have 24 more days left to go...



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah mama didn't raise no ho's

also I would like to point out that supposedly you don't have to observe a lenten fast on Sundays in lent.

Blogger Mrs. White said...

Snap! I forgot about the Lenten Sunday loop-hole...

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer