Monday, February 27, 2006
what is it about blogging that makes me think you'll care about this?
I just realized that tomorrow is Fat Tuesday and the kick off of Lent, the 40 day period when good Catholics are supposed to abstain from something that they love as a sort of sacrifice. Seeing as I haven't officially given anything up for Lent since, oh, 1989 I guess I'm not a very good Catholic. Oh well, I guess you can't be good at everything.

Normally I don't really think about much more than 1,000 calorie donuts on Fat Tuesday, but I had a bit of an epiphany yesterday as I spent over 7 hours on my sofa watching reruns of Project Runway (which I've seen several times already) and Law and Order - I think I might watch too much television. I'm currently in the middle of three books (two of which I really enjoy) and I kept thinking that I really should be reading instead of gorging myself on pointless television, but my addiction to the shiny box in my living room was a bit too strong to ignore. Thus, I've decided to do something a bit crazy - I'm going to drastically cut down my television viewing for the 40 days of Lent.

Thanks to Survivor, the Academy Awards, Lost and the Project Runway finale there is no way that I'd be willing to quit TV cold turkey. The shock might kill me. But after tomorrow I'm going to attempt the unthinkable - I'm going to allow myself 1 hour of TV on weekdays and 2 hours on Saturdays and Sundays. Now, I know that there are plenty of people out there who think that one hour per day is a perfectly adequate amount of time to dedicate to TV, but those people don't really understand the full extent of my addiction. My DVR, although I love it, has only exacerbated the problem, and I have fears of turning into one of those 300 pound people that I love to watch on Dr. Phil. Hence, I'm going to give Lent a shot this year.

God, I must really love you.

Things that I plan to do now to fill my television-free hours:
1. Read
2. Cook dinner from time to time
3. Work out
4. Use that sushi making kit that I got for Christmas but haven't used yet
5. Firm up my plans for world domination*
6. Read more of the newspaper than the crossword puzzle
7. Finish a "medium" level sudoku puzzle
8. Finish my Survivor audition video

*I looked up my birthday today in a personality book and, apparently, people born on May 22nd tend to be megalomaniacs. Who knew?

Wish me luck.


4 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

I'm curious, where do video games fit into this scenario? Or watching movies?

Good luck with all this. You're such a good little Catholic! (And I fear your lenten resolution will inevitably be broken when you come to BG to visit. We'll try to make it a no tv situation.)

Blogger Nathan said...

I will not be giving up TV for Lent so the TV is going to be on just as much as before... but now with better shows.

Goodbye Dr. Phil, hello Modern Marvels.
Goodbye Wife Swap, hello Red Wings.
Goodbye repeat of City Confidential, hello PTI.
Goodbye Animal Cops, hello anything but abused animals.

I'm going to love Lent.

Blogger Mrs. White said...

Nathan, if you think I'm going to give up Wife Swap you're out of your freakin' mind. That's my one hour on Monday.

Carrie, I am also curious about video games and movies. I'll have to let public opinion decide that one.

Steve, thanks for the good will. I too usually give up something awful like Okra, but I guess this year it's going to have to be Oprah.

Am I crazy for this? I fear I just might be.

Blogger Mrs. White said...

Wow. You two must be psychically linked at the blog.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer