Friday, March 10, 2006
books i heart (or, how i spent my friday morning when i should have been working)
So, this has made the rounds, but it looks like a worth-while endeavor, so I want to do it too. A part of me fears what this list might reveal about me, but a larger part doesn't really care because my mom told me I'm smart and I believe her. (See Steve's or Paul's lists if you want something with a bit more literary merit/depth/masculine influence.)
  • a book that made you cry: Where the Red Fern Grows (Rawls)
  • a book that scared you: Misery (King)
  • a book that made you laugh: Breakfast of Champions (Vonnegut)
  • a book that disgusted you: Haunted (Palahniuk)/Last Exit to Brooklyn (Selby, Jr.)
  • a book you loved in elementary school: The entire Babysitter's Club Series (Martin){oh, how I wanted to be Claudia, but, alas, I was much more like Mary Anne}
  • a book you loved in middle school: Little Women (Alcott)/The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
  • a book you loved in high school: Franny and Zooey (Salinger)/To Kill a Mockingbird (Lee)
  • a book you hated in high school: Heart of Darkness (Conrad)/The Grapes of Wrath (Steinbeck)
  • a book you loved in college: Slaughterhouse Five (Vonnegut)/The Grapes of Wrath (Steinbeck)
  • a book that challenged your imagination: What Dreams may Come (Matheson)/Like Water for Chocolate (Esquivel)
  • a book that challenged your identity: The Tao of Pooh (Hoff) {Be nice. I was 16.}
  • a series that you love: Harry Potter (Rowling)
  • your favorite horror book: The Stand (King)
  • your favorite science fiction book: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Adams)/Brave New World (Huxley)
  • your favorite fantasy book: The Golden Compass Trilogy (Pullman)
  • your favorite mystery book: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (Hadden)
  • your favorite "coming-of-age" book: Catcher in the Rye (Salinger)/Middlesex (Eugenides)
  • your favorite book not on this list: The Handmaid's Tale (Atwood)/The Bluest Eye (Morrison)/The Secret Life of Bees (Kidd)/Things Fall Apart (Achebe)/The Lord of the Flies (Golding)
  • your favorite book to teach: Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck)
  • the book you hate to teach: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Twain)

Feel free to comment/criticize/post your own list should you feel moved to do so. (The teacher in me couldn't help adding those last two; I know most of you probably don't care so, sorry.)



1 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Jesus, I forgot about The Babysitter's Club! How could I? I was so obsessed. I really wanted to be Stacey more than Claudia, but like you, I was probably really more like Mary Ann. Or mabye one of those younger ones they added in later. Wasn't there a dorky girl named Mallory?

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer