Wednesday, December 10, 2008
favorite songs of 2008, #19 of 35: fleet foxes', "your protector"
I don't think there's a single band that has me more conflicted than the Fleet Foxes do. Their eponymous full-length debut is one of the most critically acclaimed releases of 2008.  It's an intricately constructed, multi-layered, five-part harmony collage of genres, ranging from folk to low-fi country to classic rock, and the result is an album that feels timeless and wise beyond its years.   All this should place me firmly on their bandwagon.  

However...  

I honestly think they deserve every bit of praise they've been given, and yet there's just something about their aesthetic that rides that fine line between "yummy" and "icky" for me.  Chalk it up to personal preference - sometimes their sound hits my bullseye, but other times it misses the board entirely.  

"Your Protector", however, hits my bullseye.  I may not love this band, but damn I love this song. 

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer