Tuesday, December 09, 2008
and other such nonsuch
So, there’s this boy in my first hour Freshmen Intro to Lit/Comp class that - thanks to the student teacher - I’m just now getting the chance to know. From what I can tell so far, he seems to be the brightest bulb of the bunch, and, from what I can tell so far, it’s a fairly bright bunch. But he plays it cool, see.

He’s one of those kids who always takes careful notes, listens intently, contributes thoughtfully, never fails to do his homework, and aces every test. And yet, you wouldn’t know any of this at first glace. Like I said, he plays it cool. He goofs off in the halls, makes little jokes under his breath in class, is a jock, and – for all his nerd potential – he seems to be really quite popular. For all intents and purposes, he seems to fit seamlessly into the unaffected cool kid crowd. We should have all been so lucky.

However, I caught a glimpse of something today that totally gave him away. As I walked past his desk, I happened to look down at his English binder – the cover of which he had decorated with crude little drawings of books and writers, penned in crayon. This is the kind of thing that just slays me. Here’s this teenager who, on one hand, is trying so hard to be a “big kid,” yet he still can’t stifle the impulse to give into his inner Kindergartener. Better yet, he’s gotten this far in his public school education without having that sort of innocence beaten out of him. You think I’m a lunatic, I know, but these are the sorts of things that make me smile.


On an unrelated note, I had to explain to an older teacher today that she had been "Rick Rolled,”and that this was an innocent joke AND NOT IN ANY WAY PERVERTED. Hells bells. That poor kid almost got written up for sexually harassing a teacher...

Labels:



3 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

How did I not hear about Rick Rolling until Nathan posted the video of the Macy's Parade on Bleorg Blog? Really? It's that much of a thing that it was on a nationally broadcast parade yet I didn't know? That makes me sad.

In other news, glad you got some good eggs.

Blogger Mrs. White said...

I don't know, lady. It was all the rage this summer!

But it cracked me up when she pulled me aside as said, "Does the song, 'Never going to give you up' mean anything to you? And why would a student send me this link? It's not perverted...is it?"

I tried not to laugh, but it was a struggle.

Blogger PAK said...

You two clearly don't read enough internet message boards. This one is really good.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer