Friday, August 24, 2007
gone golfin'
We'll be leaving later today, braving flooded Ohio freeways in order to rise far too early tomorrow morning and compete in my family's annual golf outing, which I have only participated in once due to lack of clubs and skill, coupled with a healthy dose of shame and a burning desire to protect my dignity. But for some reason, I've decided to play this year. Goodbye, dignity; hello, shame.

Things That are Certain:
  • I will swear. A lot.
  • I will apologize profusely to the three other guys unfortunate enough to be placed in my group. Or on my team. Or whatever the heck it's called.
  • I will golf 9 holes with only two clubs: my eight iron and my putter.
  • It will be ugly.
  • Afterward, I will be sore.

Things That are Highly Probable:
  • My handicap - the highest in the league - will be a factor.
  • My handicap, although high, will not be enough of a factor to salvage my score.
  • My nine-year-old cousin will play much better and act more maturely than me.
  • At some point in time, I will throw a tantrum.
  • When that time comes, I may also throw a club.

Things That are Possible, However Unlikely:
  • Despite having only played a handful of times in my life and not at all in seven years, I will be better than I thought.
  • I will win, thus erasing my nuclear family's shame at never having a member place first in the thirty or so years this "friendly" family competition has been in existence.
  • I will remember that it's only a game and will have fun, regardless of how poorly I may be playing.
  • I will make my daddy proud.

Things I Will Tell You, Although They Will be Blatant Lies:
  • The best part was when, from out of nowhere, I drove dead straight for 250 yards, placing my ball right on the edge of the green.
  • My short game was my salvation.
  • I shot a 45.
  • It was fun and not at all embarrassing. We really should go golfing together sometime!

Expect early morning obscenity-laced texts tomorrow, and wish me luck. While you're at it, wish also that no one gets hurt.


1 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Ugh. Good luck with the driving. I canceled a work trip to Columbus on Wednesday because of the flooding. I hear Carey got hit bad; hope 23's ok..

Honk as you drive past BG.

Have fun, and make me proud. ;)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer