Wednesday, April 18, 2007
overheard in my classroom
Picture this. My kids are in the computer lab. They have spent the last several weeks reading Elie Wiesel's Night, researching other past genocides, and reading up on current and potential genocides such as those occurring in Zimbabwe and Darfur.

Needless to say, it's been a fairly serious couple of weeks.

But now, in an effort to show them that they can actually do something about injustice rather than just talk about it, they're forming action plans and writing persuasive letters to their congressperson. Overall, it's going better than expected, however I'm shocked at the number of kids who a) don't know how to write a "real letter," b) don't know how to address an envelope, and c) don't know their own zip code. So - and not for the first time today - I'm leaning over the shoulder of a freshman boy, helping him figure out not only his own zip code but also how to spell the name of the street he lives on (it's "Sycamore"), when I overhear this little gem:

RJ: (staring at his computer screen, voice low and lecherous, muttering to himself) Ooooh! Why hellooooo Debbie Stabenow! Aren't you a foxy one....oh yeah. I hope Mrs. W doesn't read my letter because I'm going to write soooo many inappropriate things to you...

Taylor: (glances at RJ's screen) What!? Man, that's gross!

RJ: What's gross about it? She's a hot one. Hotter than your mom, even.

Taylor: (volume rising, pitch raised) Shut up! My mom is TOTALLY hotter than that lady! (pointing to the screen) Are you serious?! Look at her!!! Ga! She's....she's....SHE'S A DORMANT VOLCANO!!!

RJ: (after a slight pause) Perhaps. But she's a SEXY dormant volcano. (almost whispering) And she will be mine....
And for the record:

Yes, Ms. Stabenow still looks like this:No, I have no idea what calling someone a "dormant volcano" is supposed to mean.

And yes, I will be reading these letters veeery carefully before mailing them off.

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer