Monday, July 24, 2006
even steely dan hates you, me and dupree
At nearly thirty years old I am a bit too young to know much about Steely Dan. I know of them, and could hum a line or two from "Reelin' in the Years," but that's about the extent of my knowledge of the band. Furthermore, I'm assuming that - although they were popular in the 70s - by the year 2006 they have become pretty much irrelevant. It's that very insignificance, along with the obvious copious amounts of marijuana that they must have smoked over the years, that makes this story so funny to me.

Perhaps you've heard about this already (I guess it's made the national news for some reason), but apparently the guys from Steely Dan wrote a song way back when called "Cousin Dupree" about a lazy guy who crashes on other people's sofas. I suppose it's understandable that they feel that Owen Wilson's latest bowel movement - You, Me and Dupree - is a direct rip-off of the song. In the pursuit of justice, they wrote an open letter to Luke Wilson imploring him to do them a "petite solid" by talking to his brother Owen about the matter. For some reason they posted the letter on their website rather than mailing it to Luke. (I guess they're delusional enough to think Luke Wilson checks in on Steely Dan's webpage with any sort of regularity.) The letter itself is hilarious. It starts of sorta nice and chummy, turns insulting, then turns threatening, and ends chummy again with two hilarious post scripts. But you really should really read it for yourself. I know you have the time.

(Via PopWatch)


6 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. White said...

I just noticed in my original posting that I wrote "bowl movement." Obviously, that was a typo and "bowel movement" was the intention. As far as I know, there has never been a bowl movement. Perhaps I'm wrong and the ceramics world has, indeed, had some sort of movement dedicated solely to bowls, but I doubt it. It seems overdue, though.

Oh, and I just posted the only comment on my own blog. That makes me AWESOME.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or pathetic.

The letter was a joke, not meant to be taken seriously (or infer that Luke Wilson visits the site). Nice try, though.

Blogger Mrs. White said...

You go anonymous commenter!

Tell me, what's more pathetic? The fact that I posted something about Steely Dan or the fact that you found my posting by doing a google search for Steely Dan, read my post and then was so moved by it that you felt compelled to comment. Sorry if I insulted your band. Or your age. Or your taste in shitty movies.

(Thank you, Site Meter!)

Blogger JMW said...

You know, I could see how this might be a joke, but then again, as of today, places like the AP (and others) are still reporting it as serious (as serious as something like this can be, anyway). See here, for instance: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/arts/AP-People-Steely-Dan.html

Was "anonymous" someone from Steely Dan??

Blogger Mrs. White said...

You know, the first time I read the letter I thought it was a joke too, but the fact that I've heard several reputable news sources, such as the New York Times for instance, report that the band is actually mad makes me wonder. I'm betting that they are upset (probably because they want royalties) and are using a comedic letter to get the world talking about them again.

And I doubt "anonymous" was someone from Steely Dan, since sitmeter tells me that he/she hails from Illinois, but how funny would that be?

Blogger JMW said...

Yeah, I didn't figure it was (someone from the band), but when you said "your band" and then thanked site meter, I thought maybe you had some inside scoop and had unmasked them.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer