Friday, December 30, 2005
2005 - a year in odd numbers
The #1's of 2005:

Favorite Album: Picaresque- The Decemberists

Favorite Book: Haunted - Chuck Palahniuk

Favorite Dramatic Television Show: Lost

Favorite Comedic Television Show: My Name is Earl

Favorite Movie: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (I didn't go to many movies in '05)

Favorite Video Game: Resident Evil 4


Three New Hobbies/Obsessions:


1. Sushi- So yummy!
2. EMusic.com So cheap!
3. Blogging –So obsessive!


Five New Places I’ve Traveled:

1. San Francisco - ***** - Fantastic.
Go. Now. If you have upwards of $3 million to spare, move there.

2.
Brooklyn, New York - **** - Excellent.
I’ve been to New York a bunch of times, but explored Brooklyn for the first time this summer. Go, but go with someone who knows the area, and never in July (or during mass transit strikes, for that matter.)

3. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - *** - Surprisingly nice.

Downtown reminded me a bit of Detroit without the gorgeous architecture, empty stores, and (surprisingly enough) ethnic diversity.

4. Driving through the state of Indiana - ** - Mind-numbingly dull.
Actually, I’m pretty sure I’ve done this before, but I have no memory of previous jaunts through the state (selective amnesia?) Oddly enough, gas stations and fast food restaurants bear an amazing resemblance to a
John Cougar Mellencamp video (without women dancing on tables in their underwear, unfortunately).

5.
Driving through the state of Pennsylvania - *- A part of me died.
Who knew the state of Pennsylvania was so vast? And despite all this wide-open space, apparently on one lives there. Seriously, do the people living in Mumbai, Shanghai and Mexico City realize all this empty land exists?



Seven Things I’ve Learned:

1. I could live without my DVR, but I’d rather not.

2. Installing crown molding is much, much more difficult than you would expect.

3. Making broad generalizations about people’s hometowns will tend to get you into trouble. (To the people of West Bloomfield
, Howell and Birmingham – I apologize that your cities are ridiculous.)

4. Always set page maximums when assigning papers to honors students. (15 pages about American identity on the eve of the Revolution - are you serious?!)

5. Avoid the Sunoco station on the corner of 5 mile and Middlebelt. There is a 75% chance that someone will approach you asking for spare change, free gas, a ride home, use of your cell phone, a date, etc.

6. If you leave your car parked in a dark alley with valuables in plain sight in downtown Detroit, don’t be surprised when your car is broken into. (Got that,
Super Bowl visitors?)

7. If your cell phone company offers an insurance policy- for God’s sake - take it.



Happy New Year's everyone! Give yourself a kiss for me!


1 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

See you soon Mags! We're gonna ring in the New Year in style. Tell Nathan to hurry up and get off work so you guys can get here... :-)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer