Friday, October 10, 2008
isn't it "ironic"
Today, after reading all of this:


I used to sneak outside after curfew to "play" with the next door neighbor.

Overall, I think that Michael Moore is a excellent "filmmaker."

John Proctor was a tragic "hero" in 'The Crucible'.

I "believe" that prejudice is one of the worst "flaws" a person can have.

I know I "wrote" that essay. I just forgot to turn it in.

'Grizzly Man' depicts Timothy Treadwell, a "man" whose obsessions ultimately led to his "death."



....I am left to assume one of two things is true:

1) Many of my students are operating in a wholly ironic world where all meaning is merely figurative,

or,

2) The vast majority them have absolutely no stinking idea how to properly use quotation marks.


Either way, I'm "concerned."

Labels:



1 Comments:

Blogger Abs said...

Wow. That first one is dirty. Kind of reminds me of when I used to read placement essays, back when the prompt was really vague, and a whole bunch of them wrote about losing their virginity, going to Lakeside, or losing their virginity at Lakeside (which, to the best of my understanding, is a Christian camp).

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer