Friday, April 04, 2008
random posts of pretty
From Life of Pi by Yann Martel:
When you've suffered a great deal in life, each additional pain is both unbearable and trifling. My life is like a memento mori painting from European art: there is always a grinning skull at my side to remind me of the folly of human ambition. I mock this skull. I look at it and say, "You've got the wrong fellow. You may not believe in life, but I don't believe in death. Move on!" The skull snickers and moves ever closer, but that doesn't surprise me. The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can. But life leaps over oblivion lightly, losing only a thing or two of no importance, and gloom is but the passing shadow of a cloud.

Labels:



3 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

I think Life of Pi is one of my favorite books.

Blogger Mrs. White said...

I think it might be one of my favorites too. It had one of the most satisfying conclusions I've read in quite some time.

Blogger cornshake said...

ah, this is my 2nd fave book ever, after Love in the Time of Cholera...

there is supposed to be a movie soon, and i swear i want to beg the director to let me be an "extra" in the zoo...i teach this and Into the Wild for my environmental lit class and students always swoon over this book..

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer