Wednesday, June 27, 2007
2007: midterm report: one book and one movie that, as only the best teacher's pet could do, knew exactly how i like it and delivered
I know you've all been waiting with breath properly bated, so I'm happy to admit that your agony is over. Please allow yourself to exhale because here it is - my final 2007 progress report. You're excited I know, but do try to contain it. People are staring.

Favorite 2007 Film Release Thusfar: Grindhouse


1408 was fantastically suspenseful. Knocked Up was hilarious. 300 was visually arresting. But Grindhouse...well that baby was all three, and furthermore an experience unto itself. Quentin's half was fine, but Planet Terror (Robert Rodriguez's contribution) was spot-on perfect, and Freddy Rodriguez made me laugh so hard that I would have been embarrassed if I weren't so shameless. The faux movie trailers between the two full-length features were alone worth the price of admission. (My personal favorite was Edgar Wright's contribution - a bootleg copy of which can be viewed down below - but I do so have a thing for that cheeky little wanker.) I count myself lucky to have caught this in the theater because I can see how something will be lost in translation watching the DVD at home, but if this sounds like your thing (and be warned, this is a movie that's certainly not for everyone) I'd still recommend you add this sucker to your queue immediately as soon as it's released.


(DON'T!)


Favorite 2007 Literary Release Thusfar: The Dead Fathers Club by Matt Haig


Of all the books I've read so far this year, this is the one that hit me in the most places. (It's also the one that I wrote the most in while reading, which is usually telling.) One may be tempted to ask whether another version of Hamlet is really necessary, but while he borrows heavily from Shakespeare's tragedy, Haig brings plenty of himself to the table making his novel, although a retelling, a quite original one. A poignant black comedy that rarely stops for punctuation, Haig perfectly captures the voice of a sad, anxiety-ridden boy who is ridiculed by his peers and faces impossible expectations in language that is beautiful in its simplicity. I guess it's technically a young adult novel, but an incredibly sophisticated one at that. I don't think it's gotten much press on this side of the pond and I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone, but I for one loved this book. Someone* please read it.

*Steve - I know I lent this to you, but I don't think it's your thing. I do, however, think it might be Paul's thing, so please feel no guilt at all should you decide to pass and send it over his way. Just for the record...

Labels: , ,



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will indeed pass TDFC along to Paul, though I admit to picking it up from time to time and liking the passages (and the writer's style) I read. Your estimation that it's not my "thing" seems accurate enough, though I bet I take another run at soon. Assuming your overdue fees aren't too harsh.

And Wright-love aside, my favorite GH trailer is Thanksgiving, if only because of the narrator's velvety voice...

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer