Wednesday, April 25, 2007
As for the subject of scary things,
it's come to my attention that some of my readers were concerned with what I posted last Thursday. No one has approached me directly exactly, but to the best of my understanding people think it may have been professionally dangerous for me to be so publicly critical of my administration. I've been back and forth on whether or not to address this, but it's been nagging at me for nearly a week so let's just do it.

Flat out - that was the scariest day I've ever had in my six years of teaching, and the scariest thing of all was what it taught me about my personal safety and the safety of the students in my charge. Furthermore, I felt a certain sort of responsibility in the sense that I was one of the first people to be alerted to two different potential situations. Unfortunately, we are all aware of how easy it is to toss blame around after events go down and I felt nervous, not only because of what I knew, but also because I knew what wasn't being done about it.

I had been advised by several parties to go to various higher ups, but I know from experience that, sadly, that would be the professionally dangerous thing to do. So, I did the only thing I knew to do - recorded it. My blog is "public," dated, and time-stamped, so I wrote a cursory post before going to work the next day (which, just for fun, also happened to be the anniversary of Columbine as well as Hitler's birthday) and then held my breath for seven hours.

I often have a big mouth and, because I've been blessed with a fairly large sense of humor, I frequently crack jokes about my job, however it's one of the most important things in the world to me. I take both it and my professionalism very seriously and would never be intentionally careless with either one, hence my anonymity. But, if you were one of the concerned please know that I am sincerely flattered. Sincerely.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer