Thursday, November 02, 2006
music: october: so little to say
I was thinking about skipping this month's music post since there's really only one album that I feel compelled to talk about, but I decided to forge ahead since it's highly likely that it will make my top ten of 2006 list. Amazingly enough, one year after coming out with the very brilliant Picaresque, The Decemberists have somehow created a second ridiculously good album with The Crane Wife. The whole thing is solid, but I'm a big fan of "The Island" and "Shankill Butchers" because that's how I like my Decemberists songs - epic, kind of scary and preferably with accordions.

Unfortunately, they are coming to town next week and I can't go because due to a tragic scheduling conflict I'm flitting off to Paris on that particular weekend. I know, poor me who has to miss a Decemberists show because a tour group company is giving me a free trip to Paris, but seriously, I'm sorta bummed. You can go ahead and cry for me now.


7 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

So my big debate now is what will win for best album of the year - The Crane Wife or The Life Pursuit? I guess I've got a few months to figure it out. Anyway, I can't get enough of all The Crane Wife variations, personally.

And did I mention how f***ing jealous I am of your trip to Paris? There's nowhere better. Please, please, please, sit in a cafe, drink coffee, eat pastries and smoke cigarettes dramatically while pondering some of life's great mysteries for me, ok?

Blogger JMW said...

The Decemberists or B&S for album of the year? It is 2006, right? Just kidding. I like both those bands a lot.

My favorite album so far this year is Boys and Girls in America by The Hold Steady. I also like Hotel Lights a lot, but that was released in 2004, I think, and just re-issued this year by a bigger label.

Enjoy Paris!

Blogger Mrs. White said...

You making fun of my musical tastes, JMW? You dare? That right is reserved for my students :)

Seriously, I just got the Hold Steady album a few days ago but haven't had the chance to listen to it hardly at all. I'll have to make it a priority.

Blogger JMW said...

Nah, I'd say our musical tastes are probably remarkably similar. I tease out of respect.

And I forgot -- "Everything All the Time" by Band of Horses is also a killer album. It took a while to grow on me, but it's definitely up there with the H.S. for my favorite of the year.

By the way, I like the new design on the site.

Blogger Carrie said...

I agree about Band of Horses. Have I given that to you? You may not like it, since it sounds very My Morning Jacket-esque at first, but it's really, really good.

I still need to give you music. I'm assumming you'd appreciate some before your long flight? Let me know and we can set up an IM date.

Blogger Mrs. White said...

Thanks for the compliments, JMW!

Carrie, we must set it up. There are many, many things I'll need before I endure a very long flight with a colleague who I only know sort of well.

Blogger JMW said...

Sorry, I feel like some annoying autograph-seeker who keeps intruding on a dinner between close friends, but one more thing, for what it's worth: I'm not a My Morning Jacket fan, either, so hopefully that won't keep you from liking Band of Horses (though I know what Carrie means about the initial similarity).

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer