Sunday, November 16, 2008
favorite songs of 2008, #8 of 30: kate nash's "pumpkin soup"
I've heard Kate Nash referred to as a poor man's Lily Allen, and although the similarities between the two Brit pop stars are obvious, I'm not sure how fair it is to disparage Nash simply because Allen's album came first. I happen to like both ladies quite a bit, and although clear comparisons can be made, I actually think that Nash's Made of Bricks displays a greater range of emotion, storytelling and musical genres than Allen's Alright, Still, for whatever that's worth.

Of course, if you like neither ladies, then I guess I can understand that too. Poppy club music dripping with thick cockney accents simply isn't for everyone. I suppose a second strike against today's song is its video, which is more than a little silly and will prompt many of you to roll your eyes at poor Ms. Nash.

But, though saccharine and slightly juvenile, both the song and its video are also pretty fun. And I happen to like fun.

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer