Thursday, February 28, 2008
the price of caring
If you've spent any significant time shopping or talking shopping with me recently, then you've probably been bothered with one of my "please take means to reduce your plastic consumption if and when it's at all possible" speeches.   

(Which, for the record, I won't promise to stop making; however, I will apologize for how annoying I am for making them.  I know. I can't help it. It's just that, well, it's my planet too, buddy!)

Consequently, I've recently switched to an all-natural, no packaging whatsoever deodorant.  Of course, it's chemical and aluminum-free, so it essentially functions solely as a deodorant.  It contains talc, making it somewhat absorbent, but if you want to be truly sweat and odor-free you apparently need to play Russian roulette with whether or not aluminum causes breast cancer and/or Alzheimer's disease.  Certainly, I pondered these things before officially making the switch; however, the way I see it - precious few people seem concerned with my olfactory comfort, so I can afford to relax a bit about theirs.

Anyway, it's only been a few weeks riding the natural armpit train, and from what I can tell, the price of caring about both my long-term health and the environment is this:
  • $9
  • The stink of patchouli
  • Hence, being associated with a neo-hippie movement that stopped being fashionable at least ten years ago
  • Increased dampness
  • Heightened social paranoia
  • Slight burning
  • A matching set of scratched-up, very owie and occasionally even bloody armpits

Nonetheless, I'm stubbornly sticking with it.  In fact, I'm pushing forward and trying a solid, all-natural, no packaging whatsoever shampoo this very evening.  

What I'm saying is, I should be a bit easier to locate in a crowd now, what with my special, all-natural, burning and blood-spotted ... essence.  

So, in a weird sort of way, everyone wins!

I think.


(Ow.)


3 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

I like how our ecological concerns are manifesting themselves in different ways- me with my food comsumption and you with your plastic reduction.

Regardless, I forgot to put on deodarant this morning and it sucked. I'll be sticking with my Dove for now. (In exchange for eating less chicken, I suppose.)

In addition, I've bought the reusable bags, and now the trick is just to remember them, damnit. But I have discovered that using paper bags reduces the amount of bags overall. That's got to be something, right?

Blogger paul said...

If you know me and my general sweat situation, I don't think Mother Nature will mind if I throw as much plastic and chemicals at my armpits as possible. I'll have to find another way to reuse and reduce :)

I'll let you know if your bloody armpits stink this weekend...

Blogger Mary said...

Ouch bloody armpits. I'll stick to Secret Solid. Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman. Gotta love sexism in media!

Serious the patchouli scent will at least cover any pot scent you've got going.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer