Friday, December 28, 2007
my 20 favorite albums of 2007: #5-1
I realized this morning that I never did get around to finishing this, and since I'm sure the suspense is positively killing you - cold sweats, uncontrollable twitchiness and the like - I suppose I'll have to do something about that. So, let's...

#5: Beirut, The Flying Club Cup
What can I say? I'm a lady who occasionally craves a little trumpet and ukulele in her music. I suppose Beirut isn't for everyone, but considering the fact that I also like black olives, anchovies, lima beans and prefer my licorice to be black, I suppose he's pretty firmly for me.
Favorites: "The Penalty" and "Guyamas Sonata"

#4: Spoon, "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga"
A nearly perfect indie-rock album that was unfortunately saddled with an absolutely horrible name. At least for me, there aren't any real stand-out "wow" moments on "Ga Ga...", which is what probably keeps me from loving it as hard as some others I know, but I do like it. Quite a bit, actually.
Favorites: "Rhthm and Soul", "Don't You Evah" and "The Underdog"

#3: Andrew Bird, Armchair Apocrypha
I read somewhere that Andrew Bird's songs come from random melodies he creates while whistling as he works on his chicken farm. I love that.
Favorites: "Plasticities", "Armchairs" and "Imitosis"


#2: Radiohead, In Rainbows
Good God I love In Rainbows - a return to form that's equal parts pretty, innovative and rockin'. It's all great, but when "Reckoner" hits the 3:08 mark I melt. Despite (or perhaps because of) all their experimental side-tracks, I still firmly contend that Radiohead is perhaps the best band doing it right now. You can try to challenge me on this point, but - well - you'll lose.
Favorites: "Reckoner", "Jigsaw Falling into Place"


 #1: The National, Boxer
 This one really surprised me because I only half liked their previous  effort, Matt Berninger's baritone voice is the sort that I would usually  find terribly off-putting, and Radiohead was supposed to be my trump  card, but try as I might I just kept coming back to Boxer. It's darkly beautiful and lyrically poetical, which are two things that slay me every time. Love, love, love...
Favorites: The whole thing, really, but "Slow Show" and "Brainy" if I were forced to choose.


Now here, eat your lima beans already because it's high time I go remind myself where the gym is...

Labels: ,



2 Comments:

Blogger Gregg said...

Well, it's. about. tiiime, Mrs. White! :O)

I've been waiting. And waiting. And...waiting.

I'm thrilled to report here that I actually have an Andrew Bird song on my DellPod. ("A Nervous Tic Motion," which, if you haven't heard it, includes whistling.)

And I know Radiohead. I don't own any, but I know them.

I told myself back when you began this list that I was going to buy your No. 1 disc no matter what, but then I read that you like black licorice, and...anchovies...and I thought...this girl's weird!!

But you used words like "dark" and "poetical," and that's gonna take me right to the music store to make a purchase.

And you're really not that weird. We'll just never be able to split a pizza, that's all.

Thanks for the musical education, Mrs. White.

Blogger Mrs. White said...

I do highly recommend The National album, obviously, but for some reason I feel like you'd like Okkervil River, Gregg. I don't really know you but it just feels like a good fit for some reason, so you might want to check out The Stage Names while you're at it.

And glad to be of service. :)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer