Saturday, November 10, 2007
saturday song: vol 2
My Simon and Garfunkel phase fell somewhere between the Muppets and Nirvana. I was probably twelve or so and finally growing dissatisfied with the bubble-gum New Kids on the Block-ish crap that was popular with most late-eighties teenage girls. At the time, I was living in a small, rural town that only seemed to get three radio stations: two country and one that built its entire playlist around Kacey Kacem's weekly top 40 list. Let's just say that good music wasn't exactly falling into my lap.

Knowing I wanted something better but not yet knowing how to go about finding it, I raided my dad's old record/cassette collection. It was there that I tried on bands like The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, and Bob Dylan; however, it was in Simon and Garfunkel's Bookends where I found my best fit.

I remember listening to that album on repeat for the better part of the next three years, and it was there that I developed the love for harmonies, poetic lyrics and folksy singer/songwriters that I still have today.

(It's also probably where I developed a taste for sweet, bookish, unconventionally handsome boys, but I suppose that's beside the point...)

Though it's difficult for me to pick my favorite S&G song, "A Hazy Shade of Winter," being the most accessible song on that particular album, served as my gateway into the duo, and this is why I'm choosing it over the rest. Enjoy!

Labels: ,



1 Comments:

Blogger TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Awesome tune!!! I "discovered" them (and that album) when I was maybe 10-years-old, glancing through my parents' record albums in the early-1980's. I latched onto "Hazy Shade Of Winter" myself.

Needless to say, I was sick and disgusted a few years later, when the Bangles decided to remake the song. And on top of it all, they decided to leave out the third verse - which was my favorite!

"At any convenient time - funny how my memory skips, while looking over manuscripts of unpublished rhyme - drinking my vodka and lime..."

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer