Saturday, November 03, 2007
saturday song
As I mentioned yesterday, I made a very impulsive decision to participate in National Blog Posting Month (or, NaBloPoMo), which means that I'm vowing to post something every bloody day during the month of November. As I'm sure you can agree, this sounds easier than it is.

I read over at the NaBloPoMo website that some people, in order to meet their daily post goal, have admitted resorting to "cheating" - reposting old posts, etc. I must admit that certainly sounds tempting, but I'm not a cheater and am dedicated to doing this thing right. Still, I need a sort of system if this is going to work.

Hence, I came up with "Saturday Song." For the month of November (perhaps even longer if we're both enjoying it) I'm going to post a song. But I want it to be a bit more meaningful than posting just any old song that I'm liking at this particular moment. And so, my "Saturday Song" series will include pivotal songs that met me at the perfect moment.

Today's song is "Cottleston Pie" and it comes from The Muppet Show Album, one of the first albums I remember owning and loving. I have very fond memories of being four-years-old and singing and dancing around my pink bedroom to this entire album, but in particular to this song. Looking back on it, I think that "Cottleston Pie" is one of the reasons I love the sound of pianos, riddles, and dogs so much as an adult; and for what it's worth, I still insist that Rowlf was always one of the most underappreciated characters on the show. Enjoy!

Labels: ,



10 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. White said...

P.S. If you like this series idea and are also struggling with post ideas - either because you're participating in NaBloPoMo or just because - please feel free to borrow it for your own blog. I'd be very interested in seeing the songs that other people would offer, and will most likely "borrow" ideas from you at some point during this month. (If fact, I'm pretty sure Paul was the inspiration for this series in the first place :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As one who constantly posts songs/videos in place of anything substantive, I think you've (or Inspirational Paul, or whoever) got a good idea here. And I've always enjoyed Rowlf quite a bit, so it's nice to see you champion him.

Good luck this month!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a much more dedicated person than I am. To do this would be just about impossible for me... I wish you the best. Between you doing this and Trice writing 1700 words a day for National Novel Writing Month, I am truly in awe... Now I'm going to write a literature review and tell myself I'm really having fun. -- BDK

Blogger Mary said...

I LOVE the muppets! Ralph is definitely one of the best. And I think it's a very cool idea to post songs on Saturdays.
By the way, did you know that you can by the first and second seasons of the Muppet Show on Amazon?

Blogger Mrs. White said...

Thanks, Mary! I love the Muppets too, so I might just have to check that out.

And Brigitte, thanks for all the awe, but Trice deserves way more than me. I briefly considered participating in NaNoWrMo, but then realized that I had gone temporarily insane. Good for him, though. I'm humbled.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm. For some reason the video comes up invisible on my server. Might be a safari thing.

But I remember this song... it features in stronly in Ben Hoff's 'The Tao of Poo'

I'm sure Rowlff does it beautifully.

Blogger Nathan said...

The video comes through fine on Safari for me Amuirin, try reloadining.

A fly can't bird but a bird can fly.

Blogger Nancy Bergenske said...

I love the muppets, too!! So funny when he says the part about the modulation.... Great blog!

Blogger JMW said...

The Muppets are really one of the best things about life, and Rowlf rules. I had that album as a kid, and loved it. One of my great disappointments is not being able to track down a copy as an adult (of course, it was lost to time somewhere along the way). My favorite track was "Gonzo Eats a Rubber Tire to 'The Flight of the Bumblebee' " -- for the title alone.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like his "You and I and George" the best....

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer