Monday, August 06, 2007
a complaint, leading to a gush that will end in a question
...but will begin with an update.

For all of you who have been kind enough to inquire, yes our water is back, as is our cable and our Internet connection. Consequently, I'm back to my old sweet smelling, dry-eyed, reasonably well-informed, emotionally balanced self. Actually, I 'm even better than balanced. I'm feeling downright smiley and content and just plain good about being me. Yay me.

But considering how frustrating my day was, this happy state of being is really quite a feat. Which now, you lucky dog you, brings me to the complaint.

We took July off, but resumed our epic task of rewriting the 9th grade English curriculum today. As expected, that "that one woman who insists on raising her hand each and every time she wishes to speak" continued to give me fits, but on top of that the district's head curriculum writing lady (aka - Little Miss Pointless Tangent) decided to come oversee us. I realize I'm getting paid nonetheless, but thanks to her we spent six hours in a freezing room with little more than a course objective to show for it, and time wasted at work when I could be wasting it at home is a supreme annoyance to me. It would be putting it nicely to say that I wanted to pick her up by her protocols and forcibly remove both her and her verbosity from the room, but since that would take levels of violence, bravery and heroism which I do not possess, I instead put my head down somewhere around eleven and started writing notes like a fifteen-year-old high school student. Apparently, I just got paid roughly $25/hour to compose two failed blog posts, one horrible poem, a grocery list, and the layout for a utopian city I have dubbed "Maggieville." And since today was basically a wash and consequently we have to go back and do it all again tomorrow, I suppose that means that several of you can expect a rambling e-mail in your future. Start bating that breath now, baby. I will promise, however, to spare you both the poem and the hard sell to join my utopian experiment. Yay you.

And since one of those aforementioned blog posts was (sort of) about Simon Pegg, in a roundabout way this all leads me to the gush.

By the power of grayskull was Hot Fuzz ever awesome. So maybe there weren't any zombies and unlike the tight little package that was Shaun of the Dead it does take a bit longer to get to the point of the story, however it was a very fun spoof of buddy cop flicks that was both smart and funny and I loved it. Hang in there - Netflix will deliver it eventually. Yay Netflix.

And finally, I'll end with a question which, by the way, has nothing whatsoever to do with any of this.

I know that many of you listen to podcasts, so do you mind sharing which ones? I'll be resuming my daily commute soon enough and am getting a bit tired of the same old playlists. Sorry, I know you've probably already given me recommendations but I've since forgotten them, so if you have any to contribute please do be a peach and toss a few in that red thing below labeled "comments." Um, yay... comments?

Labels: , ,



4 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Can I move to Maggieville? I bet it's better than my current situation.

In the battle of meetings with higher ups that you want to punch, my boss basically got all freakin' pissy b/c I disagreed with one of the points he made in the presentation we're doing tomorrow. I tried to rationally explain why this certain phrase wasn't necessary and undermined other things we said previously, and he basically threw his hands up in the air and said, "What? What do you want me to do then, Carrie?". I then told him that I spent a good deal of time with this data and that I think my opinion is valid too. He then said, "what's not valid about that statement?". Grrrr. Totally uncomfortable, he completely misundertood everything I was trying to say, and I had to concentrate really hard not to cry.

Sorry. I just have big ol' complaints too.

Anyway, in terms of podcasts, I enjoy Mugglecast, Mark Kermode film reviews, and lots of NPR stuff - All Songs Considered, This American Life, and Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. KEXP has some good ones too.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Podcasts (in addition to the above ones that I endorse as well) that I like that you might like too:

Beyond Reality Radio Show
Dark Gate Horror (sometimes)
Filmspotting (always)
Flight of the Conchords
Grammar Girl!
KCRW's Left, Right and Center
Real Time w/Bill Maher (will be coming back soon)
Scene Unseen
Spoutblog Filmcouch
Pop Candy

I could also recommend a bunch of football and fantasy football podcasts, but you're already wizened enough in those areas, thank you very much.

Blogger Mrs. White said...

Carrie (and really anyone else for that matter), you are more than welcome to join Maggieville. We live in individual underwater bubbles which are linked by pneumatic tubes, spend a large portion of our day watching Hitchcock films, get paid in ice cream, but socks, cords and power points and are all considered abominations.

It's a magical place.

Blogger Abs said...

I just want to butt in and say that, whilst in England, I got to spend a full hour in my hotel room with a cozy dinner watching "Frost and Pegg's Perfect Night In" or something to that effect, mainly involving hilarious, formative video clips and Pegg and Frost in recliners. Now that's vacation.
And why I can't wait to see Hot Fuzz.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer