Saturday, March 10, 2007
because it's been a good long while since i've discussed important pop-culture matters, this week i've been...
finally getting around to catching up on some Oscar noms/winners:

The Prestige -
Thoroughly enjoyed it, and not just because I've always secretly wanted to be a magician's assistant and Christian Bale is on my "if I ever meet him in real life and the situation is right, Nate's given me permission" list. It was well executed with a engaging storyline, tight performances and involved magic, which is always a plus in my book. I can't say much or risk revealing the secret behind how the Transported Man trick works, but I'm still trying to form my own opinion of it. So, if you've watched the film and are so inclined, feel free to e-mail me, text me, call me, or show up unexpectedly on my front porch and we'll chat it out.

Babel - Nope, didn't like it. Perhaps it was because I watched this alone, late (?) in the evening after everyone else was asleep, but this movie sorta made me want to kill myself and I had to force myself to finish it. I mean, I get it already. Regardless of our socio-economic status or the continent we live on, deep down we're all pathetic and lonely and dirty and naked and peeing in a bedpan in some random Moroccan man's house. Or something like that, anyway. Blah.

listening to some new music:

Of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? - I love it on a lyrical level and as an overall album I like it enough I guess, but as for individual tracks, I'm enamored with "Gronlandic Edit," "The Past is a Grotesque Animal," and "She's a Rejecter."

Arcade Fire
- Neon Bible - Overhyped? Perhaps. Perfect? No. Good? Yes, yes, yes.

Menomena - Friend and Foe - 'Tis good, my friends and the entire thing is streaming for free over here. So, check it.

Peter Bjorn and John - Writer's Block - I don't think I love this as much as most critics do, but it's solid and makes me happy every time I listen to it.

Patty Griffin - Children Running Through - There's a reason why this album is the most critically acclaimed album of 2007 so far. Even though she'll probably never make another Living With Ghosts, which I was pretty much obsessed with for a solid year during my late teens, Patty Griffin's one of the best songwriters alive and will always be amazing.

Deerhoof - Friend Opportunity -
Huh? Am I missing something? Why, exactly are the critics raving about this? E-music, I want my ten downloads back, please and thanks.

and watching some television:

Rome - Dear God, last Sunday's episode was awesome and intense. Way to make an exit, Servilia!

The Amazing Race -
Bye bye, Kentucky - you were too nice for this game. And how happy am I that Oswald and Danny, my favorite AR team of all time, have aligned themselves with Rob and Amber, the team who I predicted five minutes into the first episode will take it all this time around. You'd think this would bother me, but not so much.

Lost -
I'm so happy that Sawyer is back on the island being his good-old wise cracking self and I appreciated that we've (sort of) learned something about the distinction between the members of the Dharma Initiative and the Others, but why can't Locke go back to being the wise, knife wielding rock star he was in season one? I miss that badass.

Survivor
-
Oh, come on team Ravu. I hate it when one team dominates the other. I get it. You're hungry and tired and dehydrated and depressed, but suck it up and win something already.

Battlestar Galactica - Now, I realize that I've only watched five episodes of this show total, but I just don't buy that they're going to kill Starbuck off. Right? And would anyone care to explain the whole yellow, blue, red circle thing to me? Something tells me that's important.

And as for the future, I'm looking forward to:

the releases of Andrew Bird's Armchair Apocrypha and Modest Mouse's We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank (March 20th can't get here soon enough if you ask me);

when my mailman delivers Stranger Than Fiction and Thank You for Smoking, both next in the queue, as well as finally getting around to watching The Departed, which I own yet still haven't watched for reasons I can't explain;

watching Mirna and Shmirna get eaten by sharks on The Amazing Race, Rocky continuing to whine like the great big cry-baby he is on Survivor, the overall quality of Lost being erratic but good enough, a new episode of The Office next week, and 30 Rock continuing to be the most quotable show on television.

Labels: , , ,



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Locke can't go back to the Locke of season 1 because that Locke never existed. It was a drag that John Locke put on because he thought he could reinvent himself. But the old [mainland] Locke resurfaced soon enough with all his self-doubts and need to feel special and need for authority. I don't think that Locke's character's changed that much since season two.

Nice site even though you're trash talking the 'Hoof. Heh.

Blogger Carrie said...

A few things:

Christian Bale is on that particular list of mine too. Let's hope we don't run into him when we're together. :)

I too am operating under the assumption that Starbuck is not dead, but that could just be denial. And no one's really sure what her circle painting thing means yet. Anyway, she's going to return somehow and show them all the way to Earth and everyone will live happily ever after. Right.

Do you have Menomena? If so, I may request a copy. And if Steve's sources come through, you may have Modest Mouse waiting here for you this weekend.

Blogger Mrs. White said...

Carrie-
Yes, I do have Menomena, and as long as you promise me first dibs on Christian Bale whenever we both run into him by some weird and highly improbable twist of fate then you may have a copy on the house.

Cheers.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer