Friday, March 23, 2007
and all that jazz
Sorry to post another "teacher" post so soon after the last (I thought I remember saying at one point that this wasn't going to be a teacher blog, didn't I?), but my kids were just so freaking cute today and I feel compelled to brag.

Mrs. W's little suburban over acheivers (otherwise known as the Honors lit kids) had their annual Roaring 20's party today, and they were absolutely adorable. I took a grossly excessive amount of pictures that I can't in good conscious display here, so you'll just have to trust me that the costumes were spot-on. In attendance we had the cutest little 4 foot 10 Charlie Chaplin I've ever seen, a very plaintive ee cummings, a truly batshit crazy Zelda Fitzgerald, an alarmingly thin version of Fatty Arbuckle, Lenin and Stalin and Trotsky (oh my!), and more gangsters and flappers than you can shake a stick at.

They decorated the cold, formal room to look like the inside of The Cotton Club, where we danced the Charleston and the foxtrot and the shimmy and, inexplicably, the cha-cha slide. We played marbles and golfed and drank shirley temples. We listened to Duke Ellington and Fats Waller and Muddy Waters and, inexplicably, the Internationale (to which all of my communist leaders stood firmly at salute until it ended).

Phrases that I never thought I'd hear uttered in my classroom such as:

"Okay, now I need all my bootleggers over here for a group picture!," and

"Hey commies in the back! Get your butts out here on the dance floor!," and

"Mrs. W, can I go out in the hallway and work on my foxtrot?," and

"Prepare, my friends, to witness my glorious revolution!" (because our Stalin insisted in staying in character the entire day),

were frequent and awesome and funny.

They researched and planned and organized everything despite the fact that the grade was negligable at best. Was it dorky? Thoroughly. But it was also innocent, sweet, fun, and exactly what I needed after the sort of week I've had.

But now I'm exhausted, and in desperate need of some bathtub gin. Or, at very least, my bathtub.

Labels: , ,



2 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Hehe! I saw them around school today and they looked great! Very amused at your commies... that's hysterical. Ahh... just when you think you can't take it anymore, they go and do something so awesome it makes you glad to be a teacher after all.

Blogger Abs said...

If any student in my class asked if he or she could go out into the hallway and work on the foxtrot, that person would be given immediate permission to do so as long as desired.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer