Wednesday, January 24, 2007
books: 2 down, 22 to go - the ruins
Okay, so here's the real post.

Since approximately 25% of my readership has already completed The Ruins I'll keep this one short. I'd cite a passage to "hook" you, but I couldn't really find one that wasn't in danger of spoiling something for those who haven't read it yet. Basically, it's about a bunch of young fools vacationing in Mexico who, due to their naive sense of adventure, a fierce language barrier, and evolution run amok, find themselves in a world of nature-based hurt. (Sort of like my day trip to Morocco when a carpet salesman tried to convince Nathan to take the "Berber discount," which meant he could make a trade: me for a Persian rug. Okay, it's nothing like that at all, but it's a good story nonetheless.)

So anyway, back to The Ruins. It's good. Disgusting and disturbing, but good. You should read it. (Perhaps not while eating, however.)

Up next (and on the strong recommendation of no fewer than three fifteen-year-old girls): My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Labels: , , , , , ,



1 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who was disgusted by The Ruins. There were two very specific moments were I thought "I would've been happy if I went through my life without that mental image". (One of which you allude to with your last label...) Anyway, looks like we'll have much to discuss this weekend.

And, take this however you want, but I know my mom really liked My Sister's Keeper...

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer