Monday, July 27, 2009
(not so) random posts of pretty
Thanks to my recent trip to Barcelona where his work is everywhere, Antoni Gaudi has become my all-time favorite architect. I got a chance to see some of his houses and, of course, the Sagrada Familia, and it all just blew me away. Pictures truly can't do justice to his epic, beautiful, strange designs. And while it was all amazing, my favorite had to be Park Güell.

In 1900, Gaudi was commissioned to build a neighborhood of luxury houses set atop and away from the crime and pollution of the city center. Enough lots were available to build as many as sixty homes, but when the model home was unveiled, the Barcelona aristocracy was shocked and appalled at what Gaudi had created, so only two homes were ever built and only one was sold, making it a massive failure. I suppose it's easy to imagine how folks in 1910 might not have been able to wrap their heads around Gaudi's design, however today the park teems with tourists, the dragon sculpture outside one of the homes has become a symbol of Barcelona, and I can imagine folks would drop some major cash if the houses became available for private sale.

Of course, I loved everything about the place. It's like being in a fairytale dream word created by a mildly mad man...










Labels: , ,



2 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

These pictures are awesome. I've always heard Gaudi's name thrown around, but my lack of recent travel AND architecture books made me pretty unfamiliar with his work. I dig it.

Blogger MB said...

Ah! I was there this year! I loved the park and La Sagrada Familia. I found that Gaudi's work is best appreciated in person. You can't quite see the curves and strangeness in 2D.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer