Wednesday, April 08, 2009
random posts of pretty
From Revolutionary Road, by Richard Yates
(Which I just finished for my book club, and which I thought was a beautifully written, flawless novel, even if I read most of it wanting to punch Frank Wheeler squarely in the jaw.)
I still had this idea that there was a whole world of marvelous golden people somewhere, as far ahead of me as the seniors at Rye when I was in sixth grade; people who knew everything instinctively, who made their lives work out the way they wanted without even trying, who never had to make the best of a best job because it never occurred to them to do anything less than perfectly the first time. Sort of heroic super-people, all of them beautiful and witty and calm and kind, and I always imagined that when I did find them I'd suddenly know that I belonged among them, that I was one of them, that I’d been meant to be one of them all along, and everything in the meantime had been a mistake; and they'd know it too. I'd be like the ugly duckling among the swans.

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer