Tuesday, June 10, 2008
things learned/affirmed at last saturday's the national show
  • The National are absolutely brilliant live. Their sound is huge and gorgeous, their energy completely infectious, and they rock - even on some of the prettier songs that you wouldn't necessarily expect to rock.
  • I absolutely love that they tour with a violin and a small brass section. It's not that I don't appreciate stripped-down guitar-bass-drum music, but I tend to view bands that know when and how to incorporate other sorts of instrumentation as being on an entirely different level. I can't help it. It's the music nerd in me.
  • I have a really, really nice camera now. I should start taking it places.
  • There's a special place in hell for people who don't even bother to watch the opening band, but then push their way up front when the headliners take the stage. And I'm not just saying this because my friend was in the opening band. It's common-sense concert etiquette - by not being there for the opening band(s) you are resigning yourself to third-tier standing spots. Spread the word.
  • By and large, your average hipster guy grows one weak mustache.
  • By and large, your average hipster guy will cave to any semi-attractive woman who asks if she can push her way ahead of him once the main act comes out.
  • By and large and regardless of how good the music is, indie rock shows are not particularly conducive to dancing. I was made for dancing. However, I try to accept the norms and standards of my present environment, so I'm sure that the band knew that my crossed arms and fervent head bobbing meant that I was enjoying them.
  • The National closed with "Mr. November," which was awesome, but awesomer still was that they dedicated it to Barack Obama. Which got me thinking, it would actually make a fairly fitting campaign song for him. "I'm the new blue blood. I'm the great white hope. I won't f---k us over, I'm Mr. November." Can't you just see it? (Squint your eyes, maybe.)
  • I really need to start buying traditional anti-perspirant again. I'm not sure what I'm trying to prove, but I'm far too moist while I'm trying to prove it.

Labels:



2 Comments:

Blogger Gregg said...

I've read Thing No. 1 about a dozen times...over and over and over...and it makes me an even bigger fan, and I wasn't even there! I kinda had a feeling they'd be impressive...can't wait to see that for myself. Someday.

Thing No. 2 is always refreshing to find at a live show.

I'm relieved to say, in regard to Thing No. 4, that I don't have to make my reservations in hell just yet.

Thing No. 8: I can see it, without squinting. (perhaps some people might not, though.)

Annnnd, because I'm a huge dork, I have to ask about Thing No. 3: What kind of camera did you get? I want a dSLR so bad, with some fun lenses and stuff. But that's like saying, "I want to find a big pile of cash on the sidewalk tomorrow, with which I can buy a swell camera and a bag full of accessories."

(and yes, you should start taking it places.)

Blogger Mrs. White said...

I got a digital SLR, a Nikon D30. I love it, but I haven't had a chance to figure out how to use it to its full potential yet. Hopefully next week after all the chaos of final exams has blown over!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer