Wednesday, April 30, 2008
overheard in my classroom
Spoken by a very sweet but cripplingly naïve high school freshman girl:

I definitely want kids. Three or four, at least. So, I’ll go to college, get a job – a vet I think, because I really like animals – and then start having kids right away. And I want to have them all before I get too old, you know? Like, be done by 23 at the latest…


(So, did I then pipe up and tell her that 23 is far from old, that having four kids by age 23 isn’t really likely unless she starts in her teens, that veterinary medicine requires at least eight additional years of higher education, that it’s one of the most academically rigorous degrees one can obtain, and that her current 2.0 GPA simply ain’t gonna cut it? Nope. Couldn’t do it. You dream on, you absolute little dream!)

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer