Monday, July 31, 2006
music: july
I can't believe July's almost over! I can't believe how hot it is and that it's only going to get hotter!! I can't believe how much sweat my body can produce!!! I can't believe I found myself daydreaming about snow earlier today!!!! Gaaa!!!!!

Perhaps heat exhaustion has been a contributing factor, but I couldn't seem to find much music to get excited about this month. In fact, I still have quite a few e-music downloads burning a hole in my pocket. Suggestions? Anyway, there have been a few things I've enjoyed this month, and here they are:

Alright, Still; Lily Allen
I went through a bit of an ordeal to get this (I don't think it's been released in the US yet) but it was definitely worth it. At times sounding a bit like a female version of The Streets, Lily Allen is adorably perverse, endlessly catchy and musically diverse. I know she's oh so trendy right now, but I guess I'm joining the bandwagon in saying that this album is awesome and I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone. Unless you hate rainbows and puppies and ice cream sundaes - perhaps then you should pass.
Favorite Track: "Everything's Just Wonderful" (Although the entire album is one great single after another.)

Bottoms of Barrels, Tilly and the Wall
When Carrie first posted about this band from Omaha that uses a tap dancer for their percussion I must admit that I was a bit skeptical. It sounded like it had the potential to be gimmicky and hokey, but I was wrong. The sound of this band is a bit folksy, a bit poppy, and totally infectious, with the tap dancing adding an interesting complexity to the overall sound.
Favorite Track: "Bad Education"

And that's about all I have the energy for. Please excuse me while I drink a gallon of water, rinse out my hair, and put my head back in the freezer.



2 Comments:

Blogger JMW said...

I've been getting into this band called Dirty on Purpose. You might like them. I would try to describe them, but it's a thousand degrees here as well and I'm wilting. I hate summer. Every year, it seems to get closer to its goal of eventually killing me.

I'll try to recommend more when my head isn't melting. (Oh, the new Portastatic record is really, really good, but it's not out until October, I think. I have a friend/critic who's being insanely generous lately with the advance CDs she gets. Yea!)

Blogger Carrie said...

Ok, so I agree with you about there not being much new music to get excited about lately. I've had similar eMusic issues - what to get? This last month I downloaded the rest of first Decemberists album and Neko Case - Blacklisted. I also got Margot and the Nuclear So-So's. I've read good stuff about them, but honestly haven't listened to it much yet.

Thanks for Lily Allen! Seriously, I love it. And you're welcome, I guess, for Tilly and the Wall. ;-)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer