Saturday, January 03, 2009
pandalutions, etc.
Well, my New Year's resolution (or "Pandalution" if I'm feeling particularly witty) seems to have already hit a major road block. Turns out giant pandas are expensive, bitey, illegal to obtain, and consume MASSIVE amounts of bamboo. But I'm not giving up. Oh no. It's just proving a bit trickier than I originally thought, is all.

In the meantime, I have found this adorable, boffo picture to tide me over while I wait for Nathan to rob a bank, convert my backyard into a bamboo forest, and then find out where in the dickens the Chinese black market is located:
By my estimate, this should only take a couple of weeks. I'll keep you updated so you can start planning your visit.

In other resolution news, I've recently settled on one more, and since it somewhat involves this blog I thought I'd share. See, I have a bit of a problem in that I've developed a nasty habit of borrowing/buying books that then sit in limbo - half or completely unread - on my shelf. Times are tough, wastefulness stinks, and it's never cool to borrow and not return, and so I've made a vow that before I buy or borrow anything new, I first have to finish something I already have. And so, I will be reading, then reviewing, each of these books at some point this year:
I will call these twenty books my "Resolution Reads," and once I've started one of them I will not allow myself to read anything else until I've finally finished it. Many of them are frightfully long or frightfully British, so although I'm still going to try to review one each week understand if it doesn't happen, and if you have any thoughts or suggestions on my list (i.e., Throw it out! It's awful!) then please do share.

So there you have it. Enjoy your weekend, and Viva la Pandalution!

* Indicates titles I've started, sometimes several times over, but for whatever reason I just never finished.

+ Indicates dread.

Labels: , ,



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One suggestion would be to take the easy way out and check and see how many of these have been made into a movie. I know Catch 22, Pride and Prejudice and American Psycho have. I have seen all of those and have read Pride and Prejudice and the book (which of course is usually the case) was better. If you watch the movie and love it you will be encouraged (or maybe not) to read the book.

Blogger Mrs. White said...

That's a good idea, and I think I may have to do that for Love in the Time of Cholera. Hopefully watching the movie will light a fire under my behind to finally finish that tome.

And since you mention it, I LOVED the newest Pride and Prejudice film. It's one of the most beautiful films I've maybe ever seen.

Blogger Mary said...

I'm reading Pride and Prejudice now! (next up is Great Expectations.) And I'm just going to let you know that Love in the Time of Cholera was a brutally long and mostly boring book to read. After reading it, I stopped letting Oprah pick my books.

Blogger Mrs. White said...

How funny! Great Expectations is another one I started but just couldn't get through. Brit Lit just ain't my bag, I guess.

And don't think I'm not nervous about having not one but TWO of Marquez's books on this list, and both huge ones at that. I don't even know where they came from. They just appeared, as if my magic...

Blogger Danny Boy said...

Maybe you should get "kung-fu panda" instead.

ps. your bookshelf looks like mine, except I don't finish a book a week.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer