Friday, February 10, 2006
i saw brokeback mountain and now i'm a gay cowboy. eh.
Well, maybe not, but it was a pretty great movie. So far, Ang Lee is probably my pick for best director. The film was directed flawlessly (not that I know much about directing) and the pacing was perfect. I'm not sure that Jake Gyllenhaal will get the best supporting actor Oscar, but I'm pretty sure that Heath Ledger's jaw line deserves an award of some sort. (Was it me, or did he have his jaw wired shut throughout that whole film?) One thing that surprised me was the absence of love scenes. After reading the short story, I expected the film to be much more graphic than it was. I mentioned this to Nathan on the way home, and the conversation went something like this:

Me: After reading the story, I thought that there would be more love scenes than there were. It surprised me a bit.

Nathan: Yeah, but if a picture is worth a thousand words, and if you take those thousand words that are in the story and put them into a picture, then

Me: (interrupting) Huh?? If a picture is a worth a thousand words and those words were put into a thousand pictures, then - what???

Nathan: No. You don't get it. You've missed the point entirely.

Me: Sorry. Can you repeat it again?

Nathan: No. It's an abstract thought and can't be put into words. Just admit that I've blown your freakin' mind. Eh.

Me: Eh.

So perhaps I paraphrased a bit, but you try reliving that conversation. I'm sure Nathan will post a comment that will clear everything up.

I'm planning on seeing Capote tomorrow, which will mean that I will have seen all five of the flicks nominated for best picture and will actually be able to make some educated speculations on the Oscars. I'm sure you're all dizzy with anticipation.

Eh.


2 Comments:

Blogger paul said...

So you still on Munich for best picture? Out of the last ten years, seven of the best directors also won best picture...

We still need to see Capote and GNGL. We'll get there.

Blogger Mrs. White said...

Munich is not my favorite of the five, but I'm still feeling it for best picture for some reason. I saw Capote today and LOVED it. Maybe more than Brokeback. I'm still debating.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer