Monday, December 19, 2005
a dash of music and a sprinkling of movies
Say what you will, but I'm a sucker for "best of the year" lists. My favorites are usually Pitchfork's list for music and Ebert's list for movies. I know a lot of people don't like Ebert very much, but his tastes in movies usually gel pretty closely with my own. I still haven't decided if I'm going to bother creating my own list or not, primarily because it seems like there's just so much stuff out there and I can't seem to come close to wrapping my eyes and ears around a fraction of it. I know I haven't seen many movies at all this year, so unless my list consisted of nothing put Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire ten times, I can't really rank my favorite films of '05. However, I think I'll probably sit down when I have a moment (two more days of working drudgery before two weeks of sweet freedom!) and squeak out a top 10 albums of the year list at the very least. (This is mostly for my own amusement, since no one reads this.)

So anyway, I take issue with many of Pitchfork's choices for the best singles of 2005. I love The Arcade Fire and all, but didn't that album come out in 2004? And how on Earth did Madonna even make the list? I guess it's not trendy to hate her anymore. Oh well, I'm just soooooo 2003. And Kelly Clarkson? Pleeeeeeeese. I know that "Since U Been Gone" is catchy and all, but how can Spoon's "I Turn my Camera On" rank somewhere in the 40's while her trite, albeit catchy, crap is chilling in the top 5? Lame.

I got a bit depressed looking at Ebert's picks for his Top 10 Films of 2005, primiarily because I pretty much wanted to see all of them, and haven't seen a single one. Boy, for a girl who fancies herself to be a movie buff, I'm not exactly supporting the industry. Literally, Good Night and Good Luck is the only thing from that whole list that I saw in '05, and it wasn't even in the top 10. I'm dying to see Syriana and Brokeback Mountain, so perhaps and Christmas day treck to the theaters is in order. Other than that, I guess I don't have much to say about the movies of '05. I guess I spent more time watching Nanny 911 and Survivor reruns on OLN than I did going to the theaters...

Filter's celebrity lists are interesting to peruse, assuming you care what Shirley Manson and The Crystal Method (they're still around?) rocked out to in 2005.

And with that, I'm out. Is there anything worse than a Christmas cold?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer